Bailey's Harbor Light (Baileys Harbor), near Bailey's Harbor, Door County, Wisconsin
BAILEY'S HARBOR LIGHT
Location; NORTH POINT ISLAND/LAKE MICHIGAN
Station Established: 1853
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1853
Construction Materials: RUBBLESTONE
Tower Shape: CONICAL
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: SIXTH ORDER FRESNEL LENS
- Bailey’s Harbor is the only natural harbor north of Milwaukee. In 1952 a lighthouse was built to mark the harbor. It contained a sixth order Fresnel lens.
- In 1958 the lens was upgraded to a fifth order because mariners felt the original light was too dim.
- The light deteriorated rapidly and it was deactivated in 1870, replaced by range lights on the western side of the bay.
Researched and written by Anne Puppa, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.