U.S. Coast Guard Historian's Office Library
General Overviews (U.S. Coast Guard History)
- The Coast Guard Along the North Atlantic Coast; by Dr. Dennis Noble, Ph.D., USCG (Ret.) & PA3 Kenneth Arbogast, USCG.
- The Coast Guard in the Southeast; by Dr. Dennis Noble, Ph.D., USCG (Ret.).
- Gulf Coast and Western Rivers: A Brief History of U.S. Coast Guard Operations; by Dr. Dennis Noble, Ph.D., USCG (Ret.).
- Guardians of the Eighth Sea: A History of the Coast Guard on the Great Lakes
- Great Lakes: A Brief History of Coast Guard Operations; by Dr. Dennis Noble, Ph.D., USCG (Ret.).
- The Coast Guard in the Pacific Northwest; by Dr. Dennis Noble, Ph.D., USCG (Ret.).
- Alaska and Hawaii: A Brief History of U.S. Coast Guard Operations; by Dr. Dennis Noble, Ph.D., USCG (Ret) & PA1 Barbara Voulgaris.
- The U.S. Coast Guard in Kodiak: The First 50 Years, 1947-1997; by PAC Kenneth Arbogast, USCG; PA1 Marshalena Delaney, USCG; SN Jason Lawrence, USCG; Kate J. Arbogast (1997).
- Southwest Pacific: A Brief History of U.S. Coast Guard Operations; by Dr. Dennis Noble, Ph.D., USCG (Ret.).
- "To Europe and Far East -- A Brief History of Coast Guard Action in Asia and the Western Pacific"; by Joseph Liffrig.
U.S. Revenue Cutter Service & Revenue Marine
- "Forerunners of the Cutter Fleet"; by RADM Stephen H. Evans, USCG.
- Early History of the United States Revenue Marine Service or (United States Revenue Cutter Service) 1789-1849; by Captain-Commandant Horatio Davis Smith, U.S.R.C.S; edited by Elliot Snow; Press of R. L. Polk Printing Co., 1932 (reprint, 1989).
- "Our Coast Guard: A Brief History of the United States Revenue Marine Service"; by Lieutenant Worth G. Ross, USRM; as published in Harper's New Monthly Magazine, Vol. 73, Issue 438 (November, 1886).
- "The U.S. Revenue Cutter Service, As I Saw It -- The Story of CDR T. C. Odderstol's Early Days in the Service,"; 1955.
- "Commerce Ruled in 'Old Guard!' Our humanitarian traditions aren't as traditional as you may have thought. Behind almost every mission the Coast Guard carries out, there was originally a profit motive. . . ."; by GMCM William R. Wells, II, USCG (Ret.).
- "Life Below Decks. . ." (crew habitability aboard cutters in RCS); by GMCM William R. Wells, II, USCG (Ret.).
- Register of the Commissioned Officers of the United States Revenue Marine to April 1, 1875. New York: The Nautical Gazette Press, 1875.
- Efficiency of the Revenue-Cutter Service; Senate Report No. 65 (to accompany Senate Bill 728); January 11, 1900.
Bering Sea Patrol
U.S. Life-Saving Service
U.S. Lighthouse Service
Lighthouse Tenders, Buoy Tenders & ATON History
U.S. Steamboat Inspection Service
- Record of Movements - Vessels of the United States Coast Guard, 1790-December 31, 1933; Washington, DC: USGPO, (Reprint, 1989).
- Cutter Losses [& vessels lost from predecessor services as well].
- Fire, Watch and Station, and Quarter Bills Adapted to the Use of Revenue-Cutters. Lieutenant Henry B. Rogers, USRM. Washington, DC: The Alumni Association of the Revenue-Marine Service/Gibson Bros., Printers and Bookbinders, 1889.
- The Accomplishments of Ten [350-Foot Lake-class] Cutters Transferred to the United Kingdom; Washington, DC: Research & Statistics Section, Operations Division, U.S. Coast Guard.
- "Coast Guard Cutter Design, 1941-1990"; by Dr. Robert E. Johnson, Ph.D. & CDR Robert E. Williams, USCG (Ret.); CG Engineers Digest (Winter, 1992); pp. 10-23.
- "Small Harbor Cutters and AB Boats of the U.S. Revenue Cutter Service and U.S. Coast Guard"; by HMC James T. Flynn, Jr., USNR (Ret.).
- "U.S. Coast Guard - Small Cutters and Patrol Boats 1915-2012 -- Vessel of Less Than 100-Feet in Length,"; by HMC James T. Flynn, Jr., USNR (Ret.); 2014 (revised edition).
- "U. S. Coast Guard Patrol Craft - Major Classes - 100-feet to 150-feet in Length, 1915-2012"; by HMC James T. Flynn, Jr., USNR (Ret.); 2014.
- "Sentinel Class Fast Response Cutters" - The FRC - 154-Feet Long and Full of Fight (Updated Through June, 2020); by HMC James T. Flynn, Jr., USNR (Ret.); 2020.
- "Icebreakers and the U.S. Coast Guard," by Donald Canney.
- "Structural Considerations in the Design of the POLAR Class of Coast Guard Icebreakers."; by Bruce Barber, Louis M. Baez & Gary North; 1975.
- "Coast Guard Polar Icebreakers: Past, Present and Future"; by Thomas Wojahn; "National Requirements for Polar Icebreaking Capability"; & "Icebreaker Innovations -- A Brief History of Technological Advancements in Icebreaking," by Alfred Tunik; & "Going for Bust - The Challenges Facing the Coast Guard Domestic Icebreaking Fleet," by Brendan O'Shea; Proceedings (Summer, 2007), pp. 85-91.
- "Icebreaking History, Platforms, and Activities," by CDR William Woityra, USCG, Proceedings Vol. 76, No. 1 (Spring, 2019), pp. 30-33.
- A History of Coast Guard Aviation; by Dr. Robert Scheina, Ph.D.
- The Story of Coast Guard Aviation (CG-215), circa 1959.
- "The Indispensable Men -- The U.S. Life-Saving Service & the Wright Brothers, Kitty Hawk, North Carolina"; by Scott Price, 2003.
- "The Flying Lifeboat of the Coast Guard"; by Colonel Harold C. Reisinger, USMC; US Naval Institute Proceedings Vol. 59, No. 1 (Jan, 1933), pp. 72-104 (reprint).
- Coast Guard Aviation, 1927-1929 (aviation articles published in the Coast Guard Magazine from 1927-1929).
- Coast Guard Aviation, 1930-1932 (aviation articles published in the Coast Guard Magazine from 1930-1932).
- Coast Guard Aviation, 1933-1935 (aviation articles published in the Coast Guard Magazine from 1933-1935).
- Coast Guard Aviation, 1936-1938 (aviation articles published in the Coast Guard Magazine from 1936-1938).
- Coast Guard Aviation, 1939-1942 (aviation articles published in the Coast Guard Magazine from 1939-1942).
- The Eyes and Ears of the Convoy: Development of the Helicopter as an Anti-Submarine Weapon; by Dr. Robert M. Browning, Jr., Ph.D.
- History of Coast Guard Rotary-Wing Aviation: From Inception to the Modern Day, by LT1 Andrew Conwell, USAF, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Thesis, 2008.
- "Helicopter in Rescue," by CAPT Woodrow W. Vennel, USCG, Proceedings Vol. 18, No. 2 (February, 1961), pp. 24-28.
- CAP'M Mac and Flying Coffins -- Captain Donald B. MacDiarmid, USCG; by Barret "Tom" Beard, 2002.
- "The Seaplane in the U.S. Coast Guard," by CAPT D. B. MacDiarmid, USCG, 1951.
- Despair and Visions: Birth of the Rescue Helicopter; by Barret "Tom" Beard, 1998.
- JATO: The Early Days; by CHGUN (W3) Arnie "Ackack" Adams, USCG (Ret.)
- "'Cosmic Air' - United States Coast Guard, Western Pacific Logistic Support Air Group" [LORAN Support].
- "Coast Guard Aviation SRR Program [HH-65]; APO Grand Prairie, Texas," by CAPT Sperry Storm, USCG (Ret.).
- "Aviation Mind-Set -- QAT Report of Findings," 13 May 1993.
- "The History of Coast Guard Auxiliary Aviation," by Joseph Giannattasio, Proceedings, Vol. 76, No. 1 (Spring 2019), pp. 52-55.
Law Enforcement - Prohibition
Law Enforcement - Migrant Interdiction/SAR
Law Enforcement - Fisheries
National Defense - General Overviews
War of 1812
World War I
World War II
Coast Guard-Manned Navy & Army Vessels
North Atlantic Campaign
9/11; September 11, 2001 Terrorist Attacks on the U.S.
Operation Iraqi Freedom
Chief Petty Officers
- Uniforms of the United States Coast Guard; by Donald L. Canney & Barbara Voulgaris.
- Uniforms & Insignia of the U.S. Coast Guard[,] U.S. Lighthouse Service[,] U.S. Public Health Service, 1918; by Colonel Dion Williams, USMC; Glendale, NY: EPCO Publishing Company, 1919.
- The U.S. Coast Guard Surfman Uniform -- A Photo Essay; by Captain Robert Desh, USCG (Ret.) & FCGH.
- U.S. Coast Guard Enlisted Ratings, Rating Specialty Marks & Distinguishing Marks, 1915-2015; Warrant Officer & Chief Warrant Officer Specialty Devices, 1898-2016; by CWO Dana Lewis, USCG (Ret.).
- 1871 - General Order to Officers of the Revenue Marine Service (March 15, 1871) regarding USRM uniforms.
- 1878 - Circular Prescribing Uniforms For Officers of U.S. Revenue Marine; Department No. 110; Revenue Marine No. 20 (October 5, 1878).
Arctic, Antarctica & Ice Operations
Expeditions, Operations & Cruises (Non-Arctic/Antarctica)
Monuments & Memorials
Port Security Units (PSUs)
Creed of the United States Coast Guardsman