Admiralty Head Lighthouse, Whidbey Island, near Coupeville, Island County, Washington
ADMIRALTY HEAD LIGHT
Location: STRAITS OF JUAN DE FUCA/PUGET SOUND; NEAR COUPEVILLE, FORT CASEY STATE PARK
Station Established: 1860
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1903
Foundation Materials: SURFACE
Construction Materials: BRICK AND STUCCO
Tower Shape: CONICAL
Markings/Pattern: WHITE BRICK TOWER W/BLACK LANTERN
Characteristics: Spanish-style structure, 2-story residence
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1903
- The original lighthouse as completed during the months just prior to the Civil War and was among the West's earliest navigational aids. It had a fourth order Fresnel lens, and the light could be seen sixteen miles away. This light welcomed Puget Sound marine traffic to Admiralty Inlet.
- During the Spanish-American War, the US Army demolished the old lighthouse to build a fort (Fort Casey).
- The present lighthouse went into service in 1903 but was discontinued in 1927. It has been restored and now serves as a museum. It is only open during the summer for visitors.