Calcasieu Lighthouse, Calcasieu River, Louisiana
CALCASIEU RIVER RANGE LIGHTS
Location: CALCASIEU RIVER , LOUISIANA
Station Established: 1876
Year Current / Last Tower(s) First Lit: 1876
Deactivated: c. 1940
Foundation Materials: Piles
Tower Shape: Skeletal, pyramidal
Characteristic: fixed white
Relationship to Other Structure: Separate
Original Lens: Fourth Order, 1876, by Henry LePaute
- 1876 – Tower first lit in December.
- 1877 – Local people took refuge in lighthouse during hurricane
- 1916 – Keeper William Hill commended for saving lighthouse from destruction during a hurricane.
- c. 1940 – Lighthouse torn down to make way for channel from the Calcasieu Pass to the Calcasieu River.
- Charles F. Crossman (1876 – 1913)
- Stephen Hill (1913 – unknown)
- William Hill (c. 1916 - 1929)
- Philip Hill (Asst. Keeper unknown – 1929)
- E.A. Malone (1929 – 1940)
Researched and written by Marie Vincent, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.