Cape St. Elias Light, Valdez-Cordova Area, Alaska
CAPE SAINT ELIAS LIGHT
Location: SOUTH END OF KAYAK ISLAND
Station Established: 1916
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1916
Automated? YES 1974 (as per Mark De Loach, MK1, USCG)
Foundation Materials: ROCK
Construction Materials: CONCRETE
Tower Shape: SQUARE ON CORNER OF FOG SIGNAL BLDG
Markings/Pattern: WHITE ART DECO
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: THIRD ORDER, FRESNEL 1916
- Congress approved the construction of a light station at Cape St. Elias in October of 1913, appropriating $115,000 for the construction. Residence of Seattle objected and requested a lightship be used instead. The request was rejected and construction began in 1915. A third order Fresnel lens was installed.
- Lighthouse was first established in 1916 at which time the U.S. Signal Corps installed a wireless station at the cape. The keepers were put in charge and could then notify people in Katalla of approaching ships.
- In 1927 the station was equipped with radio beacon facilities -- the second such facility in Alaska.
- Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. Ref #75002157
- Automated in 1974
- In 1998 a Solar Powered Vega optic was installed. The original lens is in Cordova Museum in Cordova.
- A preservation group began restoration efforts in 2000 by repairing roof of keeper's quarter.