Cardona Island Light, Ponce, Puerto Rico
CARDONA ISLAND (CAYO CARDONA) LIGHT
Location: On island west side of entrance to harbor
Station Established: 1889
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1889
Automated: Yes, 1962
Foundation Materials: Stone
Construction Materials: Stone
Tower Shape: Cylindrical
Markings/Pattern: White with black lantern
Characteristic: Flashing white (4 seconds)
Relationship to Other Structure: Attached
Original Lens: Sixth Order, 1889
- Station established in 1889.
- Characteristic of light changed to flashing white every 3 seconds (flash duration 0.3 seconds duration of 230 candlepower) on 25 May 1922.
- Color of tower and dwelling changed to white by 16 February 1925.
- Light changed to show a white flash every 4 seconds (flash 0.4 seconds -- eclipse 3.4 seconds) on 14 July 1937.
- Extinguished due to war, 1942.
- Relighted on 10 November 1943.
- Name changed to Isla Cardona Light on 1 November 1953.
- Name changed to Cayo Cardona Light on 13 June 1958.
- Changed to electric powered illumination on 11 April 1962.
- Candlepower increased to 400 (12V 2.03 amp lamp) & equipped with daylight control on 16 March 1967.