Charlevoix South Pier Light Station, Lake Michigan, Charlevoix County, Michigan
CHARLEVOIX SOUTH PIER LIGHT
Location: ENTRANCE TO LAKE CHARLEVOIX, CHARLEVOIX, MICHIGAN
Station Established: 1914
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1948
Foundation Materials: PIER
Construction Materials: WOOD
Tower Shape: SKELETAL
Markings/Pattern: WHITE WITH BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPERATE
Original Lens: FIFTH ORDER FRESNEL
- There were two piers built along the entrance of the Pine River between Lake Michigan and Lake Charlevoix. These piers helped to break the waves from Lake Michigan so the shipping lanes of Pine River could remain open.
- A lighthouse was built at the end of the north pier in 1885. It was a skeletal wood structure. The top portion was enclosed for storage and shelter.
- In 1914 the piers were extended. The lighthouse was moved from the north pier to the south pier. A new steel skeletal tower was built on the north pier.
- After over 60 years of exposure the wood tower needed to be rebuilt. In 1948 a steel tower replaced the wooden tower at the same location. The original fifth order lens was installed in the new light. The wooden tower was destroyed.
- The light remains an active aid to navigation. The pier is open to the public but the light is not.
Researched and written by Melissa Buckler, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.