Chequamegon Point Light, Long Island, Lake Superior, Wisconsin
CHEQUAMEGON POINT LIGHT
Location: LONG ISLAND/CHEQUAMEGON BAY
Station Established: 1858
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1896
Automated? YES 1964
Foundation Materials: MOVED/ORIG. CONCRETE PIER
Construction Materials: IRON
Tower Shape: SKELETAL
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1897
Range: 13 miles
- A light was first built in 1858 on Long Island in Lake Superior to guide ships into the port on Madeline Island. At the time it was the main port in that area.
- By 1896 Ashland had become the major port so congress approved funds to put another light on the other end of the island to show ships where to turn for Ashland. A three story skeletal tower was built. The fourth order Fresnel lens from the 1858 light was moved to the new tower. This new light was lit in 1897 and showed a fixed red light.
- In 1911 three cribs were installed along the shore to stop erosion that was threatening to topple the light.
- In 1964 the light was automated.
- In 1986 the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore Park was expanded to include Long Island.
- When the light was again threatened with erosion the tower was moved back from the shore by the Coast Guard. A new tower was erected closer to the shore. The old tower is still standing but has deteriorated somewhat.
Researched and written by Anne Puppa, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.