Crooked River Light (Carrabelle Light), Carrabelle, Florida
Built in 1895 to replace a light on Dog Island that was destroyed in a hurricane in 1873.
CROOKED RIVER (CARRABELLE) LIGHT
Location: CROOKED RIVER, NEAR CARRABELLE FLORIDA
Station Established: 1895
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1895
Foundation Materials: CONCRETE
Construction Materials: IRON
Tower Shape: SQUARE SKELETAL W/CYLINDER
Markings/Pattern: LOWER WHITE/UPPER RED/BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER FRESNEL
- The Crooked River Light was built to replace the Dog Island Light that was destroyed in a hurricane in 1873. The new light was completed in 1895.
- The tower stands 100 feet. In 1902 the paint scheme became white at the bottom, red at the top with a black lantern.
- The keeper’s house has been moved from the station to two miles west and is a private residence.
- The light is not an active aid to navigation and is in serious need of repair. The Carrabelle Lighthouse Association is working to restore the light. At this time, the grounds where the light is located are open to the public but the lighthouse is not.
Researched and written by Melissa Buckler, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.