Crown Point Light, Lake Champlain, Crown Point, New York
CROWN POINT LIGHT
Location: LAKE CHAMPLAIN
Year Current / Last Tower(s) First Lit:
Tower Shape / Markings / Pattern:
In 1858 a light was placed on a 7-acre site at Crown Point, on Lake Champlain, near the historic Grenadier Battery, historic ruins of French and English fortifications. The base of the tower was 57 feet above water and the focal plane was 86 feet above water level. A fixed fifth-order, white light was there in 1894.
In 1888 a steamboat wharf had been built to accommodate visitors by water to the fortifications. In 1926 the light was discontinued and the site conveyed to the State of New York. The States of New York and Vermont, as part of the commemoration of the three hundredth anniversary of the discovery of the lake by Samuel de Champlain, removed the old tower and built in its stead an ornamental cylindrical tower of cut granite blocks, surrounded by eight Doric columns. On the pedestal is an heroic group in bronze with Champlain as the central figure, presented by the Republic of France.