Cubits Gap Lighthouse, Cubits Gap, Louisiana
Location: ON THE SOUTHEASTERLY SIDE OF CUBITS GAP, NORTHEASTERLY BANK OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER
Station Established: 1891
Year First Lit: 1891
Tower Shape/Markings/Pattern: Lantern on top of square, white, pyramidal, wooden bell-tower (1891-?); then a white metal skeleton tower
Original Lens: "lens lantern" (1891-?); 300mm (?-1961); DCB-24 (1961)
Characteristic: Fixed red (1891-1961); Flashing white light every 8 seconds (duration of 0.1 seconds; after 1961).
Fog Signal: Bell struck by machinery every 15 seconds (1891-?); then a DCB-24 beacon; on 5 June 1961 changed to a diaphragm horn, 1 blast every 10 seconds (after 5 June 1961)
- Rebuilt in 1896.
- Converted to automated operation on 5 June 1961. The prototype was tested at the CG Base, New Orleans, prior to its installation. The original fog lantern became the main light after the conversion.
- On that date in 1961, the light was changed to show flashing white every 8 seconds, flash 0.1 second, of 1,200,000 candlepower, exhibited 80 feet above water. The fog signal was changed to a diaphragm horn sounding 1 blast every 10 seconds, blast 1 second, and operated continuously from 1 November to 30 April every year.