Eagle Bluff Lighthouse, Ephraim, Peninsula State Park, Door County, Wisconsin
Built in 1868.
EAGLE BLUFF LIGHT
Location: EAST CHANNEL INTO GREEN BAY
Station Established: 1868
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1868
Automated? YES 1926
Foundation Materials: CONCRETE
Construction Materials: BRICK
Tower Shape: SQUARE
Markings/Pattern: YELLOW WITH RED ROOF
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: THIRD & ONE HALF ORDER 1868
- In 1866 congress approved and funded the placement of a lighthouse at Eagle bluff to mark the shipping channel between Door Peninsula and Strawberry Island.
- The light was not built until 1868. It was square brick tower with the lantern built on top. It housed a 3-½ Order Fresnel lens.
- In 1897 an oil house was added to the station.
- In 1918 the 3 ½ Order Fresnel was replaced by a fifth order.
- In 1926 the light was automated.
- In 1936 the dwelling was leased to the state park.
- In 1960 the Door County Historical Society worked on restoration of the station and opened it to the public a few years later.
- In 1983 the station switched to solar power and the characteristic and range were changed. The light could only be seen for 10 miles.
Researched and written by Anne Puppa, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.