Eatons Neck Light, Suffolk County, Northport, New York
Built in 1798.
EATONS NECK LIGHT
EAST SIDE OF HUNTINGTON BAY ENTRANCE, EATONS NECK
Station Established: 1798
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1799
Automated? YES 1968
Foundation Materials: DRESSED STONE/TIMBER
Construction Materials: FIELDSTONE W/BRICK LINING
Tower Shape: OCTAGONAL PYRAMIDAL
Height: 73 feet
Markings/Pattern: WHITE W/RED ROOF
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Characteristics: Fixed white light
Original Lens: 12 Lamps, 13" Reflectors (1838); replaced with Third Order Fresnel
- 1798, March 14: $13,250 was appropriated for the lighthouse to be built.
- 1798, June 16: Ten acres were bought from John Gardiner for $500.
- 1798, July 2: President John Adams authorized construction of the light.
- 1798, December 6: Construction of the lighthouse was completed.
- 1799, January 1: The light was first lit.
- 1837: An inspection found the light to be defective. The light was not visible at 10 miles.
- 1838: Twelve lamps with 13-inch reflectors were installed to improve the visibility of the light.
- 1842: 9-inch reflectors were installed.
- 1850: Thirteen lamps with 15-inch reflectors were installed.
- 1858: A new lantern and a third order Fresnel lens were installed.
- 1867, March 2: Congress approved funds needed to renovate the lighthouse.
- 1868: Renovations completed included the replacing the old wooden stairs with iron stairs with landings, the interior walls were lined with brick, the keeper's quarters were expanded and the steam fog signal was installed.
- 1880: The keeper's quarters were renovated.
- 1907: The oil lamp was replaced with an oil vapor lamp.
- 1921: The light was electrified.
- 1961: The light was automated.
- 2002: The light is a Coast Guard active aid to navigation.
Chronology was researched and written by Diane Hackney.