Execution Rocks Light, Long Island Sound, Mamaroneck, Westchester County, New York
EXECUTION ROCKS LIGHT
WEST END LONG ISLAND SOUND
Station Established: 1849
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1850
Automated? YES 1979
Foundation Materials: DRESSED STONE/TIMBER
Construction Materials: GRANITE W/BRICK LINING
Height: 60 feet tall with a focal plane of 62 feet
Tower Shape: CONICAL
Markings/Pattern: WHITE WITH BROWN BAND MIDWAY
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Characteristics: Flash every 10 seconds
Original Lens: Fourth Order Fresnel, 1856
- 1847, March: Congress appropriated $25,000 for the light to be built.
- 1849, May: Construction was completed.
- 1850: The lighthouse was first lit.
- 1856: A fourth order Fresnel lens was installed.
- 1868: The keeper's quarters were added. The keeper no longer had to live in the cramped space inside the tower.
- 1918. December 8: A fire with an unknown origin caused $13,500 in damages. The engine house and machinery were destroyed, the tower and oil house were damaged and the windows, woodwork, gutters and eaves were also damaged.
- 1979, December 5: The lighthouse was automated. A VEGA lantern replaced the Fresnel lens.
- 2002: The lighthouse is still an active aid to navigation.
Chronology was researched and written by Diane Hackney.