Five Finger Lighthouse, Five Finger Islands, Hoonah-Angoon Area, Alaska
FIVE FINGER ISLANDS LIGHT
Station Established: 1902
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1935
Automated? YES 1984
Foundation Materials: CONCRETE PIER
Construction Materials: CONCRETE
Tower Shape: SQUARE
Markings/Pattern: WHITE ART DECO
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1902
- Light Station was established in March of 1902. Construction began in July of 1901 and was completed for a cost of $22,500.00. Some consider this the first manned station in Alaska because all construction was completed before Sentinel Island Light. Contained a fourth order Fresnel lens.
- In 1931 a third-class radio beacon was added to the station making it the sixth station in Alaska to have such a facility.
- Original structure burned down in December 1933. The tower was rebuilt using public works appropriations to build the current structure made of concrete. Completed and relit in 1935.
- This was the last lighthouse in Alaska to be automated on August 14, 1984.
- Lens replaced in 1997 with a solar powered VRB-25 VEGA.
- Transferred to Juneau Lighthouse Association in 1998. A renovation project is planned that will eventually open the light to the public.