Fort McRae Light (Rear Range Beacon), Fort McRae Pensacola Bay, Florida
FORT MCRAE RANGE LIGHTS (PENSACOLA)
Location: EAST END OF PERDIDO KEY, GULF OF MEXICO, FLORIDA PANHANDLE NEAR PENSACOLA FLORIDA
Front Range Light: SOUTHWESTERLY FROM THE RUINS OF FORT McREE, ABOUT 800 FEET BACK FROM THE BEACH, ON THE WESTERLY SIDE OF THE ENTRANCE TO PENSACOLA BAY (30° 19' 11" N s 87° 19' 18" W)
Rear Range Light: IN BIG LAGOON, 850 FEET NW. BY W. 7/8 W. IN REAR OF THE PRECEDING (30° 19' 14" N x 87° 18' 08" W)
Station Established: 1859
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1888
Tower Shape: SQUARE PYRAMIDAL FRAMEWORK WITH TUBULAR LANTERN
Markings/Pattern: FRONT RANGE-WHITE, REAR RANGE RED
Relationship to Other Structure:
- The first set of Fort McRee Range Lights was destroyed during the Civil War.
- In 1866 the towers were rebuilt. They were destroyed in a hurricane soon after.
- A third set of towers were erected in 1888. In 1906 the Fort McRee Range was replaced by the Fort McRee Cutoff Range.
- The towers have been destroyed.
Researched and written by Melissa Buckler, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.