Fort Pickering Light (Winter Island Lighthouse), Salem, Massachusetts
First opened in 1643, current light established in 1871.
FORT PICKERING (WINTER ISLAND) LIGHT
Location: WINTER ISLAND/SALEM HARBOR
Station Established: 1871
Year Current/Last Tower(s) First Lit: 1871
Foundation Materials: CONCRETE
Construction Materials: CAST IRON/BRICK
Tower Shape: CYLINDRICAL
Markings/Pattern: WHITE W/BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
* Fort Pickering named in honor of Timothy Pickering who served as Quartermaster General, Postmaster General, Secretary of War and Secretary of State under George Washington.
* 1871 – The Lighthouse was first constructed.
* Fort Pickering lighthouse, together with the Derby Wharf light formed range lights to guide ships into Salem harbor.
* 1969 – Lighthouse deactivated and replaced by an offshore buoy.
* 1978 – Blizzard took the door off the tower & deposited it in the water. The door was later salvaged and rehung on the lighthouse.
* 1980s – Fort Pickering Lighthouse Association formed.
* 1983 – Relit as private aid to navigation.
* 1995 – Lighthouse converted to solar power after the power supply from shore was cut off due to damage to the underwater line.
* 1999 – Lantern and ironwork were restored.
* John Harris (1882 – 1919)
Researched and written by Marie Vincent, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.