Fourteen Foot Shoal Light, Cheboygan, Michigan
FOURTEEN FOOT SHOAL LIGHT
SHEBOYGAN HARBOR ENTRANCE/LAKE MICHIGAN
Station Established: 1930
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1930
Foundation Materials: PNEUMATIC/SUB
Construction Materials: REINFORCED CONCRETE/STEEL
Tower Shape: CONICAL ON RECTANGULAR HOUSE
Markings/Pattern: WHITE W/RED TRIM
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL
Characteristic: FL. W., 3 SEC.
Fog Signal: DIAPHONE, AIR; BLAST 1 SECOND, SILENT 14 SECONDS
- So named because of the depth of the water at the site.
- 1920s – Lighthouse built.
- 1930 – Light began operation. The light itself was radio-controlled from Poe Reef lighthouse. After the lighthouse was established and deemed reliable, the Cheboygan light was extinguished.
Researched and written by Marie Vincent, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.