Georgetown Lighthouse, Georgetown, North Island, Georgetown County, South Carolina
Location: NORTH ISLAND / WINYAH BAY ENTRANCE
Station Established: 1801
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1867
Automated? YES 1986
Construction Materials: RUBBLESTONE
Tower Shape: CONICAL
Markings/Pattern: White tower with black lantern room
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1855
Characteristic: Fixed white
- 12 December 1795: a spot was acquired on North Island for a lighthouse for the harbor of Georgetown. Seven acres were given for the purpose by Paul Trapier.
- Light first lit in 1801. The first tower was a 72-foot, wood pyramidal tower. Also constructed was a two-story keeper's dwelling along with an oil storage tank. The wooden tower was destroyed by a storm in 1806.
- The tower was rebuilt in 1812 of brick. It too was 72-feet tall. A plaque above the tower's entrance noted: "This Light House was Erected / -1811- / CHARLES BROWN ESQ.R / SUPERINTENDENT / Walker & Evans / Undertakers Charleston S.O Carolina.
- Sustained damage during the Civil War when it was used by Confederate forces as an observation tower. It was captured by Union forces in May, 1862.
- Rebuilt in 1867.
- National Register Status: LISTED; Reference #74001857; Name of Listing: GEORGETOWN LIGHTHOUSE