Grand Island North Light (Old North Light), north side of Grand Island, near Munising, Michigan
GRAND ISLAND NORTH (OLD NORTH) LIGHT
GRAND ISLAND/LAKE SUPERIOR
Station Established: 1854
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1867
Automated? YES 1961
Construction Materials: BRICK
Tower Shape: SQUARE
Markings/Pattern: SQUARE BRICK TOWER ATTACHED TO DWELLING
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL
- 1853 – Congress appropriated $5,000 for a lighthouse on Grand Island.
- 1856 – Lighthouse completed.
- 1860 – Walkways and tramline built to connect boathouse and lighthouse.
- 1865 – Inspector recommended replacing the lighthouse.
- 1866 – Congress approved $12,000 for new lighthouse.
- 1867 – New, brick lighthouse built.
- 1882 – Fog signal was requested for this site, but never received Congressional approval.
- 1885 – Walkway rebuilt.
- 1927 – Lighthouse automated.
- 1961 – Light moved to 25’ steel pole.
Researched and written by Marie Vincent, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.