Grassy Island Range Lighthouse, Green Bay, Wisconsin
GRASSY ISLAND LOWER & UPPER RANGE LIGHT STATION
Location: GRASSY ISLAND, GREEN BAY, WISCONSIN
Station Established: 1872
Operational? No – moved to new location
Foundation Materials: Pier
Construction Materials: Both were wood with cedar shake shingles
Tower Shape: CONICAL
Original Lens: SIXTH ORDER FRESNEL (Both)
Range: Front – 11 miles, Rear – 13 miles
Characteristic: Fixed White (Both)
- In 1838 money was first approved for a Grassy Island light. However it was felt at the time the island was not suitable due to rising water levels and it was thought the island would soon be under water.
- For a time mariners had to make due with the lights at Long Tail Point. In 1866 a channel was dredged right through Grassy Island in an attempt to make the approach to Fox River at Green Bay more direct. At the same time funds were approved to build a lighthouse to mark the new channel.
- It was decided that range lights would be built but were not completed and lit until 1872.
- Seems there was a never ending battle with the elements at this light station. In 1880 the keeper’s house and woodshed roofs were replaced. In 1889 a breakwater was built to help forestall erosion. In 1896 the boat house had to be replaced due to water damage. In 1902 the boat house was raised due to rising water.
- In 1966 it was decided to widen the channel and as a result the lights were to be destroyed. They were saved and in 1999 both lights were moved to the Green Bay Yacht Club.
Researched and written by Anne Puppa, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.