Great Captain Island Light, Greenwich, Connecticut
GREAT CAPTAIN ISLAND LIGHT
Location: Western Long Island Sound near Greenwich, Connecticut
Station Established: 1830
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1868
Foundation Materials: STONE
Construction Materials: GRANITE/WOOD
Tower Shape: OCTAGONAL
Markings/Pattern: WHITE ON NATURAL GRANITE
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER FRESNEL LENS
- In 1829 the first Great Captain Light was built on a parcel of land that was sold to the government before the site selection of where the lighthouse would stand was finalized. There was some confusion as to who owned the land New York or Connecticut. It would take fifty years before a decision was made in favor of Connecticut.
- An inspection in 1838 revealed the stone tower had been poorly constructed and the walls were already severely cracked.
- A fourth order lens was installed in 1858. In 1867 it was determined a new tower needed to be built and the new tower was completed in 1868. The original lens was installed in the new structure.
- In 1970 a skeleton tower replaced the light and the lighthouse fell victim to vandals. In 1973 the town of Greenwich acquired the lighthouse and had full time caretakers living in the light. This ended the vandalism. The town hopes to restore the lighthouse as well as re-light it.
- In 1991 it was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Researched and written by Melissa Buckler, a Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Light House Society volunteer.