Hendricks Head Lighthouse, Southport, Maine
Originally built in 1829.
HENDRICKS HEAD LIGHT
SHEEPSCOT RIVER ENTRANCE
Station Established: 1829
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1875
Automated? YES 1975
Foundation Materials: NATURAL/EMPLACED
Construction Materials: BRICK
Tower Shape: SQUARE
Markings/Pattern: PLAIN WHITEWASH W/BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: FIFTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1875
- 1829 – 1st lighthouse, an integral granite structure, built.
- 1875 – Current tower built after original tower burned down. Separate fog signal building built.
- 1891 – Bell tower built.
- 1895 – Oil house built.
- 1933 – Light discontinued and lighthouse sold into private hands.
- 1951 – The increase of boating in the area caused the Coast Guard to reactivate the light.
- 1978 – Storm washed away the boathouse and damaged the walkways to the bell tower and oil house. Both walkways were rebuilt.
- 1979 – 5th order Fresnel replaced by modern optic.
- 1991 – New owners restored all the structures on the station.
- John Upham (1829-1837)
- Stephen Smith (1837-1841)
- Thomas Pierce (1841-1845)
- Joshua Berry (1845-1849)
- Thomas Pierce (1849-1853)
- Simeon Cromwell (1853-1857)
- William Orne (1857-1859)
- Ephraim Pinkham (1859-1861)
- John Stevens (1861-1866)
- Jaruel Marr (1866-1895)
- Wolcott Marr (1895-1930)
- Charles Knight (1930-1933)
Researched and written by Marie Vincent, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society