Hereford Inlet Lighthouse, Wildwood, New Jersey
Built in 1874.
HEREFORD INLET LIGHT (OLD)
HEREFORD INLET ENTRANCE
Station Established: 1849
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1874
Automated? YES 1964
Foundation Materials: WOOD PILINGS
Construction Materials: WOOD
Tower Height: 49.5 feet
Tower Shape: SQUARE
Markings/Pattern: WHITE W/BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Characteristics: Rotating white light with red sector
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1874
- 1872, 10 June: Congress acted to finance a fourth order light along the New Jersey shoreline.
- 1873, 7 July: Humphrey S. Cresse sold the 1.5 acre site to the US government for $150.
- 1874, 16 April: The US Army Corps of Engineers completed construction of the lighthouse.
- 1874, 11 May: A "Notice to Mariners" announced the operation of the light on the North end of Five Mile Beach.
- 1913, August: A severe storm damaged the foundation of the lighthouse. The lighthouse was moved 150 feet westward where it stands today.
- 1938, May: A fire caused extensive damage to the lighthouse.
- 1963: The lighthouse property was transferred to the New Jersey Marine Police.
- 1964: An automatic light tower was built to replace the lighthouse.
- 1977, 20 September: The lighthouse was placed on the National Register of Historical Places after restoration by the city.
- 1982: A 20 year no-cost lease to the City of North Wildwood from the Department of Environmental Protection was established.
- 1983, 1 July: A portion of the restored lighthouse was used as a tourist information center.
- 1986, April: The US Coast Guard relit the lighthouse using the beacon from the automatic light tower.
- 2002: The lighthouse is open during the summer for tours.
Researched and written by Diane Hackney.