Holland Island Bar Light, Kedges Strait, Dorchester County, Maryland
Screwpile style lighthouse in the Chesapeake Bay, built in 1889.
HOLLAND ISLAND BAR LIGHT
Name of Lighthouse: Holland Island Bar Light Station
Location: Off Holland Island in the Holland Straits off the main channel of the Chesapeake Bay, slightly northeast of Point Lookout.
Date Built: 1889
Type of Structure: White hexagonal dwelling on a cast iron screw-pile foundation.
Height: 42 feet above the water's surface.
Characteristics: 4,500 candlepower light emitted white flashes visible for 12 miles twice every 10 seconds.
Status: No longer standing
- The station was established in 1889.
- Sometime in 1957 a U.S. Navy aircraft on bombing practice damaged the light station.
- As of 1957 the station was manned by four Coast Guardsmen: BML1 Arnold W. Doyle; SN David L. Ferrell; EN3 William T. Scott; and EN2 Donald Warren.
- In November 1959 bids were invited to demolish the current light station and build a new one. The bid called for: "demolition of the existing one and one-half story wood-frame dwelling and storage platform underneath the dwelling, and construction of a concrete deck, concrete block house and steel tower." The new light would be automated.
- The Coast Guard lit the newly constructed light sometime in early to mid-1960.