Hudson City Light (Hudson Athens Lighthouse), Hudson River, Hudson, New York
HUDSON-ATHENS (HUDSON CITY) LIGHT
MIDDLE GROUND FLATS/HUDSON RIVER
Station Established: 1874
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1874
Automated? YES 1949
Foundation Materials: GRANITE CAISSON
Construction Materials: DRESSED STONE/BRICK
Height: 30 feet; focal plane 46 feet
Tower Shape: SQUARE
Markings/Pattern: RED BRICK W/BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: FIFTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1926; Current light 300 mm.
Foghorn: Fog bell mechanism; 15 second intervals
- 1872: Congress of U.S. approves $35,000.00 to build the light.
- 1873 - 1874: Light was constructed.
- 1874, November 14: Light was put into operation with Henry D. Best as the first keeper.
- 1949, November 10: The light was automated.
- 1940's: Electricity was installed.
- 1967: Nelson A. Rockefeller established the Hudson River Valley Commission, which suggested the USCG deed over or lease lighthouse facilities to public or not-for-profit groups for maintenance and preservation.
- 1982: Hudson-Athens Lighthouse Preservation Society was formed.
- 1984, February 15: A 20 year lease between the Lighthouse Preservation Society and the USCG was signed. This was the first lease of its kind.
- 2002: Occasional tours are available to the public through the Lighthouse Preservation Society
Chronology was researched and written by Diane Hackney.