Indian Island Light, Indian Island, Rockport Harbor, Maine
INDIAN ISLAND LIGHT
INDIAN ISLAND/ROCKPORT HARBOR
Station Established: 1850
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1875
Construction Materials: BRICK
Tower Shape: SQUARE
Markings/Pattern: WHITE W/BLACK TRIM
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1856
- 1851 – Original lighthouse, lantern on top of keeper’s dwelling, built.
- 1856 – 4th order Fresnel lens installed.
- 1859 – Lighthouse discontinued.
- 1875 – Lighthouse re-established and current tower built for $9,000.
- 1888 – Fuel house built.
- 1904 – Stone oil house built.
- 1934 – Lighthouse discontinued and sold into private hands.
- David Sargent (1850)
- Silas Piper (1850-1853)
- William McLaughlin (1853-1857)
- Richard Grinnell (1857-1859)
- Joseph Small (1875-1881)
- Knot C. Perry (1881-1894)
- David S. Arey (1894-1902)
- Edmund Coffin (1902-1914)
- Charles E. B. Stanley (1914-1921)
- Leroy S. Elwell (1921-1925)
- William Foster Reed (1925-1933)
Researched and written by Marie Vincent, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.