Isle Au Haut Lighthouse, Isle Au Haut, Maine
ISLE AU HAUT (ROBINSON POINT) LIGHT
ROBINSON POINT ON ISLE AU HAUT, MAINE
Station Established: 1907
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1907
Foundation Materials: GRANITE BLOCKS
Construction Materials: GRANITE/BRICK
Tower Shape: LOWER CONICAL/UPPER CYLINDRICAL
Markings/Pattern: LOWER GREY/UPPER WHITE WITH BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER FRESNEL
- Isle Au Haut light was built in 1907 and was the last traditional light built in Maine. The tower is brick built on a granite base with a height of 40 feet. It stands slightly offshore. A raised walkway was built to reach the tower.
- Other structures at the sight were a two and a half story keeper’s quarters, an oil house and storage shed.
- The light was automated in 1934. The property was sold to Charles E. Robinson. Mr. Robinson had originally sold the property to the government to build the light station. The tower remained property of the U. S. Government.
- The property was a summer getaway for the Robinson family until 1986 when it was sold. The new owners turned it into a bed and breakfast called “The Keeper’s Quarters”. The Coast Guard turned over the tower to the town of Isle Au Haut in 1998. In 1999 a complete restoration of the tower was complete.
- While the tower is an active aid to navigation, it was put up for sale in 2007. The original lens is on display at the Maine Lighthouse Museum in Rockland, Maine.
Researched and written by Melissa Buckler, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.