Jordan Point Light, Jordan Point, James River, Prince George County, Virginia
JORDAN'S POINT LIGHT (a.k.a. JORDAN POINT)
Name of Lighthouse: Jordan Point Light
Location: James River, on Jordan's Point, port side of river
Date Built: 1855
Date Automated: N/A
Height: focal plane is 35’ above mean high water
Foghorn: Fog bell worked by hand in second structure.
Construction Material: wood with lantern on top of structure
Dwellings: white frame building with red roof
Original Lens: 6th order
Characteristics: fixed white light
- Some records refer to this as Jordan's Point Light. It was established in 1870 and some authorities state Jordan Point Light was established in 1855. It seems the original light was built on the James River around 1855.
- Shore erosion resulted in the need to rebuild the tower in either 1870 or 1875. In this second light the tower was separate from the keeper’s dwelling and this is the structure seen in the pictures on this web site.
- In 1888 new keeper’s quarters were built.
- The light was deactivated in 1927 and the station was abandoned a few years later.
- Skeletal tower was built around 1941 exists where tower once stood. This structure serves as Jordan Point Range Rear Light.
The above was researched and drafted by Anne Puppa, a Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Light House Society volunteer.