Upper Cedar Point Light, Potomac River, Maryland
Screwpile style lighthouse first built in 1867, served by a light vessel prior to the construction (1821-1867).
UPPER CEDAR POINT LIGHT
Lighthouse Name: Upper Cedar Point Light
Location: Potomac River 2 miles west of Mathias Point
Station Established: 1867
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1867
Automated? YES 1963
Deactivated: YES 1876 AND1963
Tower Shape: SQUARE SCREWPILE
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
- In 1821 a lightship was established at the location of the Upper Cedar Point light. The screwpile light was built and lit in 1867.
- In the 1870’s the lighthouse had African-American keepers.
- The light was deactivated in 1876.
- The lighthouse was reactivated in 1882 after numerous complaints. It remained lit until 1963 when it was dismantled.
- A small navigational light stands on the original foundation.
Researched and written by Melissa Buckler, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Light House Society.