Kenosha Pierhead Light, Kenosha, Wisconsin
KENOSHA (NORTHPIER) LIGHT
ENTRANCE TO PIKE RIVER, KENOSH WISCONSIN
Station Established: 1906
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1906
Foundation Materials: CONCRETE PIER
Construction Materials: CAST IRON
Tower Shape: CONICAL
Markings/Pattern: RED w/BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL
- In 1856 a light was placed on the north pier to mark the entrance to the channel. This first light contained a sixth-order Fresnel lens.
- In 1860 this first light was washed away in a storm. A pole light was erected to provide a temporary light to mark the entrance to the channel.
- In 1867 a new light was finally built to replace the one washed away in a violent storm.
- As the pier was lengthened over the years the light was continually moved to the end.
- In 1891 this second light was damaged when a schooner ran into it and it was washed into the waters off the pier. Once again a temporary pole light was erected.
- In 1900 a light was placed on the southeast end of the pier and it became the front light to the north pierhead light forming a range light arrangement.
- In 1906 a new north pierhead light was completed in 1906 as a replacement to the “Old Kenosha Light”
- In 1913 the light was upgraded and in 1917 the characteristic was changed to red.
- In 1925 the light was electrified and an air diaphragm foghorn was installed.
- In 2008 the light was deemed “excess” by the Coast Guard.