Keweenaw Waterway Lower Entrance Light (Portage Entry Light), south breakwater of the Portage River, Torch Lake Township, Houghton County, Michigan
Built in 1919.
KEWEENAW WATERWAY ENTRANCE LIGHT
PORTAGE RIVER ENTRANCE, PORTAGE LAKE, LAKE SUPERIOR, NEAR JACOBSVILLE, MI
Station Established: 1868
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1920
Foundation Materials: CRIB
Construction Materials: BRICK WITH REINFORCED CONCRETE
Tower Shape: OCTAGONAL
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPERATE
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER
- The original lights that marked the entrance of the Portage River, they were designed as range lights. A 19-foot tower was the front range and the rear range consisted of a lantern 25 feet above a dwelling.
- The range lights were replaced by the current tower. The octagonal tower was built in 1920. It was designed to be automated from the start.
- It remains an active aid to navigation and remains in its original condition. It is not open to the public.
Researched and written by Melissa Buckler, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.