La Pointe (LaPointe) Lighthouse, Long Island, Apostle Islands, Lake Superior, Ashland County, Wisconsin
LA POINTE (LONG ISLAND) (Old and New) LIGHT
Location: LONG ISLAND/CHEQUAMEGON BAY/LAKE SUPERIOR
Station Established: 1858
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1896
Automated? YES 1964
Foundation Materials: CONCRETE
Construction Materials: CAST IRON
Tower Shape: SKELETAL W/CENTRAL COLUMN
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1896
Range: 12 miles
Characteristic: Fixed white
- In 1853 Congress appropriated money for a light on the west end of Long Island.
- The light was built, but on the wrong island. It had been built on Michigan Island instead of Long Island as the contract called for. In order to get paid the contractors built a light at the correct location but had to assume the cost for this structure. As a result, it was not as well constructed as the first tower.
- The structure was subjected to the normal Great Lakes storms and soon showed signs of ware. In 1864 supports were installed to provide greater stability for the structure.
- In 1868 the light built on Michigan Island was lit. To avoid confusion between the two lights the characteristic of the Long Island light was changed to red.
- A fog signal was added in 1889.
- In 1897 the new La Point Light was built and the old one was discontinued. It was allowed to deteriorate and today very little is left of the old structure.
Researched and written by Anne Puppa, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.