Liston Range Front Lighthouse, Middletown, New Castle County, Delaware
LISTON RANGE LIGHT
Location: Delaware River
Station Established: 1906
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1877
Automated? YES 1976
Foundation Materials: MASONRY (MOVED 1906)
Construction Materials: WROUGHT IRON
Tower Shape: PYRAMIDAL SKELETAL W/CYLINDER
Height: Focal Plane is 176
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: SECOND ORDER RANGE, FRESNEL 1906
- The tower was originally the rear range light of the Port Penn Range. By 1904 that range light was no longer needed and the light was decommissioned.
- In 1906 the light was moved to its present location to guide ships down the Delaware River between Ship John Shoal light and Liston Point Delaware.
- In 1936 the light went from shinning dusk to dawn to staying on 24 hours a day.
- In 1976 the light was automated.
- In 1978 the light was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- In May 2004 Delaware River and Bay Lighthouse Foundation signed a thirty-year lease agreement with the Coast Guard to take care of the light.
Researched and written by Anne Puppa, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.