Little Cumberland Island Lighthouse, Camden County, Georgia
LITTLE CUMBERLAND ISLAND LIGHT
Location: NORTH END LITTLE CUMBERLAND ISLAND
Station Established: 1838
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1838
Foundation Materials: Brick
Construction Materials: Brick
Tower Shape / Markings / Pattern: White tower
Relationship to Other Structure: Separate
Original Lens: 14 Lamps; later a Third Order, Fresnel
Characteristic: Fixed white
- The first lighthouse to market Little Cumberland Island was built in 1820. This light was moved to Florida in 1838 and became the Amelia Island Lighthouse.
- In 1838 the current tower was completed.
- Prior to the Civil War the tower was often referred to as the St. Andrew Light because it is on St. Andrew Sound.
- During the Civil War the tower was damaged and the light was darkened as were so many other lighthouses during the conflict.
- In 1874 a brick wall was built to surround the tower and protect it from the encroaching sea.
- In 1890 an Oil House was built near the tower and in 1896 a boathouse was added to the station.
- In 1915 the light was decommissioned and the 3rd order Fresnel lens that had been installed at some point was removed.
- In 1920 the lighthouse became privately owned. In 1961 Little Cumberland Island Association purchased the light.
- In 1968 the light was briefly relit. It was also in this year that the keeper’s house was destroyed.
- From 1994-1995 the interior was renovated. By 1998 exterior renovations were also completed. In August of 1998 the light was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
- The light is not open to the public.