Lovells Island Light Station, Lovells Island, Boston Harbor, Massachusetts
LOVELLS ISLAND RANGE LIGHTS
Location: Front range light: On the NE'ly side of the N'ly end of Lovells Island, entrance to Boston Harbor, and on the SW'ly prolongation of the axis of the outer section of the channel dredged from Broad Sound to President Roads; 42° 21' 55" N x 70° 55' 49" W. Rear range light: On the N'ly end of Lovells Island, entrance to Boston Harbor, on the SW'ly prolongation of the axis of the outer section of the channel dredged from Broad Sound to President Roads, and 400 feet 228° (SW 1/4 W) in rear of the front range light; 42° 19' 55" N x 70° 55' 52" W.
Station Established: 1903
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1903
Foundation Materials: UNKNOWN
Construction Materials: WOODEN
Tower Shape: CONICAL
Markings/Pattern: WHITE W/BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPERATE
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER FRESNEL
* In 1903 two wooden lighthouses were built on Lovell’s Island 400 feet apart. A seven foot wooden walkway connected the two towers. The towers were outfitted with fourth order Fresnel lenses.
* The lights were torn down in 1939 to make room for the expansion of Fort Standish. The oil shed from the station remains today.
Researched and written by Melissa Buckler, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.