Ludington North Pierhead Lighthouse, Ludington, Michigan
LUDINGTON NORTH BREAKWATER LIGHT
PERE MARQUETTE HARBOR/LAKE MICHIGAN
Station Established: 1871
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1924
Automated? YES 1972
Foundation Materials: PIER
Construction Materials: STEEL/REINFORCED CONCRETE
Tower Shape: SQUARE PYRAMIDAL
Markings/Pattern: WHITE W/BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL
1924 – Current tower built.
1972 – Lighthouse automated.
1993 – Coast Guard renovated the building, replacing the glass in the lantern and in the portholes with lexan.
1995 – Lens removed from the tower. It is now on display at the Rose Hawley Museum in White Pine Village near Ludington.
2005 – Lighthouse became available under the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act.
2006 – Ownership transferred to the City of Ludington. City partners with Sable Point Lighthouse Keepers Association to manage the lighthouse.
- Frederick Samuelson (1924 – 1937)
- John Paetschow (1937 – 1940)
Researched and written by Marie Vincent, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.