Lynde Point Light, Old Saybrook, Connecticut
LYNDE POINT (SAYBROOK) LIGHT
Location: West side of the mouth of the Connecticut River on the Long Island Sound, Old Saybrook, Connecticut
Station Established: 1803
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1839
Foundation Materials: GRANITE PIER
Construction Materials: BROWNSTONE BLOKS
Tower Shape: OCTAGON
Markings/Pattern: WHITE W/RED AND GREY LATERN
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: FIFTH ORDER FRESNEL
- In 1803 a 35-foot wooden tower was built at Lynde Point.
- This tower was too short and mariner’s petitioned to have it raised by 25 feet.
- Instead of raising the old tower a new 65-foot brownstone tower was built in 1838.
- In 1858 the original keeper’s house that was built in 1833 was demolished. It was replaced by a Gothic Revival style house that remained until 1966.
- In 1886 the Saybrook Breakwater Light was built. Lynde Point then became commonly known as the Inner Light. Saybrook Breakwater became known as the Outer Light.
- Lynde Point Lighthouse was electrified in 1955 and automated in 1978. The original Fresnel lens remains in the light and Lynde Point is an active aid to navigation. It is not open to the public.
- In 1990 it was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Researched and written by Melissa Buckler, a Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Light House Society volunteer.