Manistee North Pierhead Light, Manistee, Michigan
MANISTEE (NORTH PIERHEAD) LIGHT
MANISTEE RIVER ENTRANCE/LAKE MICHIGAN
Station Established: 1875
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1927
Automated? YES 1927
Foundation Materials: PIER
Construction Materials: CAST IRON
Tower Shape: CYLINDRICAL
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: FIFTH ORDER
1894 – Pierhead built. A light was located on a trolley which traveled along a conduit which ran from the pierhead to the fog signal building.
1900 – The conduit system was discontinued and a lantern and gallery added to the fog signal building. As a result, the fog signal whistles had to be raised by 4’.
1914 – The Army Corps of Engineers built the South Breakwater.
1925 – The lighthouse was electrified.
1927 – Fog signal building removed, new iron tower constructed at the end of the North pier.
1994 – The Coast Guard repaired and renovated the lighthouse.
2009 – The General Services Administration issued a Notice of Availability for the lighthouse under the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act.
- Octavius Barney (1869 – 1871)
- John McKee (1871 – 1875)
- William King (Acting) (1875 – 1883)
- John Roberts (1883 – 1888)
- Thomas Robinson (1888 – 1903)
- Milton McClure (1903 – 1923)
- Wallace Hall (1923 – 1939)