Manistique East Breakwater Lighthouse, harbor of Manistique, Michigan
Established in 1915.
MANISTIQUE (EAST BREAKWATER) LIGHT
MANISTIQUE RIVER ENTRANCE/LAKE MICHIGAN
Station Established: 1915
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1917
Automated? YES 1969
Foundation Materials: CONCRETE PIER
Construction Materials: STEEL
Tower Shape: SQUARE PYRAMIDAL
Markings/Pattern: RED W/BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL
1892 – Lighthouse Board recommended a light at this location.
1917 – Pierhead light constructed on end of east pier. It was originally painted white – then the color was later changed to red.
1969 – Light automated.
2000 – Corps of Engineers replaced the breakwater with rip-rap.
- Charles Corlette (1914 – 1920)
- Walter Ottesen (1920 – 1940)
- William Keller (1947 – 1949)
- Anton Jessen, Jr. (1949 – 1951)