Manitowoc North Breakwater Lighthouse, Lake Michigan, near Manitowoc, Manitowoc County, Wisconsin
First built in 1895, current structure built in 1918.
MANITOWOC NORTH BREAKWATER LIGHT
Location: LAKE MICHIGAN
Station Established: 1895
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1918
Automated? YES 1971
Foundation Materials: CONCRETE PIER
Construction Materials: STEEL FRAME
Tower Shape: CYLINDRICAL ON SQUARE HOUSE
Markings/Pattern: WHITE W/BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1918
- The first breakwater light was built in 1895.
- In 1902 a fifth-order Fresnel was installed.
- In 1907 the harbor was dredged and new breakwaters were built.
- When these were completed a new breakwater light was built in 1918 and a fourth-order Fresnel was installed.
- In 1927 a radio beacon was added to the light.
- In 1932 a fog signal was synchronized with the radio beacon.
- In 1940 a telephone line and a new radio room transmitter was installed.
- In the 1950s a new power cable was run to the light.
- In 1971 the light was automated.
- In 1985 the structure was added to the states Register of Historic Places.
Researched and written by Anne Puppa, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.