Marquette Breakwater Light, Marquette Harbor, Michigan
MARQUETTE BREAKWATER LIGHT
SOUTH END OF THE BREAKWATER, MARQUETTE HARBOR/ SOUTH SHORE OF LAKE SUPERIOR
Station Established: 1875
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1908
Foundation Materials: wood crib
Construction Materials: wood, steel
Tower Shape: square, pyramidal
Markings/Pattern: white w/ black lantern
Relationship to Other Structure: on end of breakwater
Original Lens: 4th order Fresnel
1867 -1875 – The breakwater was constructed during this time frame. In 1875, once the breakwater was completed, a wooden tower containing a light was placed on the end. This tower was originally used at Mendota and was moved here from there.
1886 – A storm washed away the light along with much of the catwalk above the breakwater. The tower ended up on the beach. It was then repaired and placed back in service.
1890 – A new, longer breakwater built. This breakwater contained a tunnel to give the keeper a safer means of access to the light tower. A new tower was built and the light apparatus was changed to a 6th order lens.
1898 – An electric cable was run to the light tower. It was among the first towers on the Great Lakes to be electrified. Whenever a power outage occurred, the keeper had to go back to using the old kerosene lamp.
1908 – The breakwater was extended again and a new tower was placed at the end.
1985 – Coast Guard removed the breakwater light. The lens and lantern are on display at Marquette Maritime Museum.