Marquette Harbor Lighthouse, Marquette Harbor of Lake Superior, Michigan
Original structure constructed in 1852, and lit in 1853, with a replacement tower constructed in 1865. A breakwater was added in 1875. A string storm destroyed the original light in 1889, and new structure was built on a concrete crib on the breakwater wall.
MARQUETTE HARBOR LIGHT, MICHIGAN
NORTH POINT, LAKE SUPERIOR, NEAR MARQUETTE, MICHIGAN
Station Established: 1853
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1866
Foundation Materials: DRESSED STONE/TIMBER
Construction Materials: BRICK
Tower Shape: SQUARE
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER FRESNEL
- The original tower built at Marquette Harbor has been lost to time. It is thought it would have been a short rubble stone tower attached to a keeper’s dwelling with a Sixth Order Fresnel lens. It was completed in 1853 but had to be replaced by 1866.
- The current lighthouse is a one and a half story dwelling with an attached tower. A Fourth Order Fresnel lens was installed.
- In 1875 a 2,000 foot breakwater was built to combat the wind and waves. A light was established at the end. Two whistle signals were installed on the point. These additions required the help of an assistant keeper. However, the dwelling was not large enough for everyone. A barn was converted as a temporary solution for the assistant keeper.
- In 1909 a second story was added to the keeper’s house and other additions were done in the 50’s. It is unknown at what date the light was automated.
- A US Life Saving Station was established on the lighthouse grounds. When that organization merged with the US Coast Guard, it became a training station.
In 2002 the Marquette Maritime Museum signed a 30 year lease on the lighthouse. Public access to the lighthouse is available through the museum only as the site is still an active Coast Guard station.