Marshall Point Lighthouse, Port Clyde Harbor, Clyde, Maine
Established in 1832, the original structure was replaced in 1857.
MARSHALL POINT LIGHT
MARSHALL POINT LIGHT, MAINE
ENTRANCE TO PORT CLYDE HARBOR, PENOBSCOT BAY, MAINE
Station Established: 1832
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1857
Foundation Materials: GRANITE BLOCKS
Construction Materials: GRANITE WITH BRICK ABOVE
Tower Shape: CYLINDRICAL
Markings/Pattern: WHITE WITH BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: FIFTH ORDER FRESNEL
- In 1832 a 20 foot rubblestone tower was built at Marshall Point to guide the boats in and out of Port Clyde Harbor. The lantern consisted of 7 lard oil lamps and 14 inch reflectors.
- The original tower was replaced in 1857 with a 31 foot granite and brick tower. A fifth order Fresnel lens was installed. The station is similar to Ram Island and Isle Au Haut. The station includes a raised walkway to get to the tower.
- In 1898 a bell tower with a 1,000 pound bell was built at the station. It was replaced by a horn in 1969. The bell was returned to the station in the 1980’s where it remains on display.
- In 1895 lightening destroyed the original keeper’s house. The house that was built that year still stands.
- The station was automated in 1971. The original lens was removed and a modern optic replaced it.
- In 1986 the keeper’s house was restored by the St. George Historical Society.
- The entire light station became property of the town of St. George in 1998. The light remains an active aid to navigation.
Researched and written by Melissa Buckler, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.