Mary Island Light Station, northeastern part of Mary Island in southeastern Alaska
Built in 1903.
MARY ISLAND LIGHT
MARY ISLAND/REVILLAGIGEDO CHANNEL
Station Established: 1903
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1937
Automated? YES 1969
Foundation Materials: CONCRETE
Construction Materials: REINFORCED CONCRETE
Tower Shape: SQUARE
Markings/Pattern: WHITE ART DECO
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1903
- Congress appropriated funds for a lighthouse and construction began in May of 1902.The light was first lit on July 15, 1903 with a fourth order Fresnel lens.
- In 1926 a new illuminating apparatus was installed increasing the lights power.
- In 1931 a third class radio beacon was installed in the station.
- In the late 1930 it was determined a new light would have to be constructed. A new tower of reinforced concrete was constructed at a cost of $54,792 and became active in 1937.
- In 1969 the light was automated and reclassified as a minor light. The radio beacon was discontinued at the same time.
- Current lens is 250 MM optic. Date of installation is not noted.