Miah Maull Lighthouse, Delaware Bay, Cumberland County, New Jersey
Sparkplug style lighthouse built in 1913.
MIAH MAULL SHOAL LIGHT
ON NORTH END OF SHOAL/DELAWARE BAY
Station Established: 1913
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1913
Automated? YES 1974
Foundation Materials: CONCRETE/CAST IRON CAISSON
Construction Materials: CAST IRON W/BRICK LINING
Tower Height: 45 feet; focal plane 59 feet
Tower Shape: CONICAL
Markings/Pattern: RED TOWER W/RED WATCHROOM/BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: Fourth Order Fresnel; today 500 mm optic
- 1909: A temporary light near the site of a late 18th century shipwreck where Nehemiah Maull drowned was established.
- 1913: The permanent light, painted brown, was first lit.
- By 1941: The lighthouse was listed as having a red tower, a black lantern and a gray base.
- By 1973: The lighthouse was fully automated.
- 1980s: The US Coast Guard removed the metal canopy from above the walkway during renovation.
- Today: The lighthouse is still an active aid to navigation using a 500 mm optic. The lighthouse is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Researched and written by Diane Hackney.