Michigan City East Pierhead Lighthouse, Michigan City, Indiana
MICHIGAN CITY LIGHT
Location: LAKE MICHIGAN
Station Established: 1837
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1858
Pierhead Tower Lit: 1904
Operational? NO (Pierhead Tower Operational)
Automated? NO (Pierhead Tower Automated: 1960)
Foundation Materials: NATURAL/EMPLACED; Pierhead Tower: CONCRETE PIER
Construction Materials: WOOD; Pierhead Tower: STEEL/BRICK
Tower Shape: SQUARE (REPLICA); Pierhead Tower: OCTAGONAL ON FOG SIGNAL BLDG
Markings/Pattern: WHITE TOWER ON BRICK DWELLING; Pierhead Tower: WHITE TOWER
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL; Pierhead Tower: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: FIFTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1858; Pierhead Tower: FIFTH ORDER 1904
- 1837 - Original post light replaced by 1st lighthouse built on this site.
- 1858 - New lighthouse built 100’ East of previous tower.
- 1887 - Light in lantern first lit all year around rather than just April to November.
- 1902 - Improved kerosene lamps installed.
- 1904 - Extensive rebuilding done to the lighthouse - including enlarging the single keeper’s dwelling to a duplex. Light tower removed from the roof and the lens was transferred to an iron tower above fog signal building.
- 1904 - 1940 - Inactive lighthouse served as keeper’s house.
- 1960 - U.S. Coast Guard abandoned the light.
- 1973 - Replica light tower and lantern installed.
- 2003 - Spiral stairway rebuilt.
- John M. Clarkson (1858-1861)
- Harriet E. Colfax (1861 - 1904)
- T.J. Armstrong (1904 - 1918)
- Phillip Sheridan (1918 - 1930)
- Walter Donovan (1930 - unknown)
Researched and written by Marie Vincent, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.