Michigan Island Lighthouse, Apostle Islands, western Lake Superior, Ashland County, Wisconsin
Built in 1857.
MICHIGAN ISLAND LIGHTS (OLD & NEW)
Location: APOSTLE ISLANDS/LAKE SUPERIOR
Station Established: 1857
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1869; Second Tower: 1880
Operational? NO; Second Tower? YES
Automated? YES 1943
Deactivated: 1929; Second Tower: N/A
Foundation Materials: NATURAL/EMPLACED; Second Tower: CONCRETE
Construction Materials: MASONRY; Second Tower: CAST IRON
Tower Shape: CONICAL; Second Tower: SKELETAL W/CENTRAL CYLINDER
Markings/Pattern: BLACK LANTERN ON WHITEWASHED MASONRY TOWER; Second Tower: WHITE
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED; Second Tower: SEPARATE
Original Lens: THIRD AND HALF ORDER, FRESNEL 1869
Original Range: 20 miles. New Range: 22 miles
Characteristic: Fixed white light.
- Initially a light was built on Michigan Island instead of Long Island as the contract had called for in 1857. The light may have been lit temporarily while the correct light was built on Long Island.
- In 1858 the lantern and light were removed and installed in the light originally ordered for Long Island and this light went dark soon after it was built.
- In 1869 it was decided that increased traffic in the area warranted the re-lighting or lighting of this beacon. The structure had deteriorated some since the station had stood empty since 1858, so money was appropriated to make structural repairs and install a new lantern and lens. In September of 1869 the light was lit.
- In 1928 a skeletal tower that had been built in 1880 was moved to the island and reassembled on new footings and the 3 ½ Order Fresnel was installed in the new tower with an electric bulb. A new brick powerhouse was built to house a diesel powered generator.
- In 1929 the old tower was discontinued. A radio beacon signal replaced the old fog signal.
Researched and written by Anne Puppa, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.