Middle Island Light, Middle Island, Lake Huron, 10 miles north of Alpena, Michigan
Built in 1905.
MIDDLE ISLAND LIGHT
BETWEEN THUNDER BAY ISLAND/PRESQUE ISLE/LAKE HURON
Station Established: 1905
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1905
Foundation Materials: DRESSED STONE/TIMBER
Construction Materials: BRICK
Tower Shape: CONICAL
Markings/Pattern: WHITE WITH ORANGE BAND IN MIDDLE
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL
The name comes from its location – halfway between Thunder Bay Island and Presque Isle.
1896 – Lighthouse Board first recommended a lighthouse for this location.
1902 – Congress finally approves the request.
1904 - $25,000 appropriated for the construction of the lighthouse.
1905 – Lit for the first time.
1906 – Oil building built.
Circa 1928 – 4th order Fresnel lens replaced with a third order lens.
1939 – Daymark changed to white tower with horizontal black band.
1961 – Light automated.
1992 – Middle Island Lightkeepers Association formed.
2001 – Light station operated as bed and breakfast inn.
- Patrick Garraty, Jr. (1905 – 1917)
- Michael Nolan (1923 – 1928)
- Stanley Clark (1934 – 1939)