Mile Rocks Lighthouse, southwest of the Golden Gate Bridge, off of Lands End in San Francisco, California
Sparkplug style lighthouse built in 1906, light demolished in 1966 and replaced with a helipad.
MILE ROCKS LIGHT
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit:
Relationship to Other Structure:
This lighthouse was completed in 1906, after considerable difficulty caused by the heavy seas and strong currents occurring at this point. The rock upon which the lighthouse is built measured only 40 by 30 feet at high water. The base of the tower is a large block of concrete protected by steel plating. Steel and concrete in the foundation alone weighed 1,500 tons. The superstructure is of steel, and houses the fog signal apparatus and the quarters for the keepers, with the lantern above. It was on this rock that the Rio Janeiro was wrecked shortly before the building of the lighthouse. One hundred and twenty-eight persons out of a total of 209, lost their lives when the Rio Janeiro went down on February 2, 1901. The wreck has never been found. In 1966, the tower was removed, and the light automated.